Are you interested in joining an organisation with a long term commitment to fighting poverty? Would you like to work in a challenging environment and develop an international career focused on demonstrating shared core values that achieve results?
SNV is looking for a: Business Development Officer
The Business Development Officer based in Accra will be part of the global SNV BD team. In this position the BD Officer leads the drive for resource diversification in the West Africa region. In addition, the BD Officer will be assigned to BD initiatives in other parts of the world where SNV operates. He/she reports directly to the Head of Business Development Support at the Head Office in the Netherlands and collaborates effectively within the global Business Development team.
The successful candidate will be a professional, with solid experience in lobbying, networking, and resource mobilization, including experience in fundraising, with a variety of major donors, for international development.
- Coordinate and write proposals and steer on quality and consistency of submitted proposals;
- Conduct analysis on markets and funding streams and specific customers, in line with SNV’s BD Strategy and request of sector-and country management;
- Identify leading market players and develop and implement appropriate donor-relation strategies in line with customer strategy;
- Maintain and influence a network of donors and partners to maximize SNV’s funding opportunities;
- Identify and secure opportunities/funding sources and leads at global and (multi-) country level and suggest appropriate actions while involving relevant staff;
- Assure quality in the BD process as a whole, identify right persons/experts within SNV for preparing proposals/bids, risk management and compliance with all regulations;
- Co-shape and implement BD strategy for the cluster of SNV countries in West Africa;
- Create a long-term fundraising plan for the cluster of SNV countries in West Africa;
- BD support to and sparring partner for the Country Directors and Sector leaders;
- Institutionalize best practice on Business Development processes, tools and systems in consultation with Head of Business Development Support.
Next To This The BD Officer Will
- Ensure adequate information flows on Business Development issues making use of SNV’s BD Management Information System;
- Monitor Business Development effectiveness and targets and provide the required management information;
- Give input to the global BD team and advise the SNV countries in West Africa on issues pertaining to Resource Mobilization;
- Support the global BD team and the SNV countries in West Africa in the development and marketing of new products and services;
- Coordinate and lead global BD improvement projects;
- Train, mentor and coach colleagues in business development;
- Profile SNV at relevant events;
- Travel frequently in the region and beyond.
Qualification Required & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field; a master’s degree in international development or another relevant field is preferred.
- Fluent in English and French.
- A proven track record in resource mobilization and Business Development.
- Exceptional written English and French skills, with proven ability in proposal writing and written reporting.
- At least five years’ experience in partnership development and fundraising initiatives in context of global capacity building and/or integrated development programming.
- Three to five years’ experience within an international development organization.
- Working knowledge of and existing relationships with relevant multi-lateral, bilateral and international donors and other stakeholders.
- Detailed knowledge of the funding mechanisms within at least two of the following organisations – EU, DFID, AFD, IFAD, WB, and AfDB.
- Experience in business development training, mentoring and coaching.
- Excellent analytical skills, alongside a practical approach oriented towards achieving lasting results.
- Excellent listening skills combined with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- The successful candidate will be articulate and persuasive - adept at crafting proposals, donor correspondence and other kinds of materials, as well as at making presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Willing to travel, both within the region and internationally (25-30% of time).
- Good team player; pragmatic and patient negotiator with solution-oriented approach.
- Prior work history in Western Africa is preferred.
Contract Duration: Two (2) years with possible extension based on performance.
Desired start date: As soon as possible.
Accessibility: Accra has an international airport which is served by regular flights from/to international destinations. The roads are good.
Communication infrastructure: Telephone, fax, Internet/e-mail are good.